Student Smart Card (tCard)
The Institute implemented a "smart card" (called the TCard) system to replace the old Student Cards a number of years ago. As part of the registration process, students will be required to sign the 'Smart Card Agreement' and the multi-functional Smart Card will be issued. The Smart Card can be used for printing or photocopying services. Also, the card will be the official student identification card that will be required for use of Library facilities and Computer Helpdesk facilities.
Using Your Student t-Card (Smart Card)
As part of the registration process, students are required to sign a 'TCard/Smart Card Agreement' for the multi-functional t-Card to be issued and enabled. The card is also the official student identification card and should always be kept in your possession. You will need you card for use of library facilities and Computer Services Helpdesk facilities, printing and photocopying. When availing of any of the Academic Affairs or Student Services - e.g., getting forms signed and stamped, collecting cheques, using health service etc, you will need to present your TCard. An authorised officer of the Institute may request and confiscate your card temporarily for breaches of regulations as explained in Section B of the Student Handbook. The card will be returned to you on payment of the appropriate fine.
Looking After Your Smart Card
To ensure durability and validity of your Smart Card:
- Keep it in a safe carrying case (e.g. in your wallet or in a cardholder)
- Keep the card away from magnets and computers to avoid magnetic damage
- Avoid exposing the card to excessive heat
- Do not bend the card
- Do not punch holes in you card
- Do not tamper with any of the information or picture printed on the card
- Keep the card free from any marks or scratches especially on the back where the magnetic strip is located.
- Do not wash the card or use it for any purposes it was not designed for
- If your 'Smart Card' is damaged, you should bring it to the Academic Affairs Office in the Institute. Lost or stolen cards should be reported immediately. A fee will be charged for issue of a replacement card.